Greeley Parenting Coordinator & Decision Maker Lawyers
Parents can find themselves in conflict over the best way to resolve the parenting issue in divorce, separation, or post-divorce child custody matters. Many reasons exist for this, typically emotionally based, that make it exceptionally difficult to come to acceptable agreements, called Parenting Plans, that a family court judge must approve.
Colorado lawmakers understand this, which is why legislation was enacted in 2005, creating Parenting Coordinators to negotiate agreements and Decision Makers to make final determinations in these child custody legal proceedings.
At Peek Goldstone, LLC, we are here to make these problematic matters less adversarial for parents and children and find ways to help you reach appropriate and acceptable parenting arrangements.
We offer skilled negotiation outside of court and mediation services, including court-appointed Parent Coordinators and Decision Makers. The local courts have appointed Attorneys Amanda Peek and Monique DuPont for these purposes. As mediators, they can help you resolve child-related disputes peacefully and cooperatively. They can also decide on these issues when all other efforts fail.
Contact Peek Goldstone, LLC to consult with a Greeley Parent Coordinator or Decision Maker at (970) 442-5281 about your case.
Overview of Parenting Coordinators & Decision Makers in Colorado
A Parenting Coordinator in Colorado family law is a neutral third party appointed by the court to assist in resolving disputes between parents concerning parenting issues; they act as a mediator. Mediators cannot give legal advice or make legal decisions for parents. Their job is to listen, suggest ways to find common ground, and facilitate positive communication and problem-solving toward an acceptable resolution.
Courts can also appoint a Decision Maker in cases where parents cannot resolve conflict even through mediation. With the parents' consent, the court authorizes these latter appointees to make final determinations about parenting agreements that are generally binding for at least two years. These appointees are specially trained individuals with appropriate qualifications and an independent perspective acceptable to the court.
How Can Parenting Coordinators & Decision Makers Help?
Parenting Coordinators/Decision Makers can assist in addressing complex parental issues.
Issues they can help with and the support they can provide can include:
- Impartial and professional perspectives on the situation. One or both parties may believe bias exists on the part of either party and/or negotiators. By involving a neutral third party, parties can have confidence in the fairness of the negotiations.
- A professional who can establish guidelines. Having negotiation guidelines enables both parties to express themselves freely without feeling restrained or intimidated by the other party.
- Assistance with communication challenges: Developing effective communication strategies and guidelines ensures that both parties can communicate respectfully and efficiently.
- Assistance with conflict resolution: These professionals can help to identify the sources of conflict between parents and work with them to find answers and develop strategies to minimize conflicts.
- Parenting Plan Implementation: They can guide parents in implementing their parenting plan by creating structured guidelines and providing resources to ensure smooth execution.
- Co-Parenting Cooperation: They can promote cooperation between parents by facilitating discussions, offering suggestions, and fostering a positive co-parenting environment.
- Decision-Making Assistance: They can help parents navigate decision-making processes related to their children's education, healthcare, and other essential aspects, promoting consensus and reducing disputes.
- Resource Referrals: They can suggest relevant resources, such as counseling services or co-parenting classes, to help parents enhance their parenting skills and cope with challenging situations.
Parenting Coordinators and Decision Makers can be appointed through the agreement of both parties, upon the request of one party, or by the court’s initiative.
Turn to Peek Goldstone, LLC for Proven Professional Child-Related Assistance
Our family law team is dedicated to helping you make some of the most critical decisions you will ever face regarding your children’s future. When conflict arises between you and the other parent, professional help can be invaluable. Our mission is to facilitate this process so that mutually beneficial results can occur that put the child’s best interests foremost and protect your parental rights.
To discuss your case with our family law attorneys, call us at (970) 442-5281 today.